Interested in Knowing “How” a Person is Thinking about Something?
This could be done through understanding what is known as visual access cues. Visual access cues are clues about how a person is thinking about something by measuring the directions in his or her eye movements. For instance, can you recall a time when you ask someone “How his or her graduation ceremony was like?” and as he or she tells you that “It was wonderful, that he or she was to give a short public speech, and parents were there, that the place was well decorated” that you see his or her eyes move to the top right. What the directions of the eyes signal is that the person is visually recalling events. So this means, the person is tracing back in memories to how the events have happened. However, should the eyes move to the left top side, this may suggest that the person is making up or creating the events.
Hence, learning how to read visual cues can be clues to whether a person is telling the truth or not. In fact, almost all professionals who work as actors, psychologists, politicians, or federal agencies are trained in this.
However, there are individual differences in how people respond. Some people might be oppositely orientated. That is for most while the eyes move to the top right to signal image recall, for some it could be the opposite direction, top left. Hence, it is important that we take this individual variability into account.
To know whether a person is oppositely or normally orientated, we have to calibrate. This is we have to find out. This could be done by asking several questions we know the answers to. For example, if we know the person saw a red car that was in a crash scene and you ask the person to think about what the car looks like, and as he or she tells you that the car is red on the outside and moves the eyes to the top right, then you know that he or she possess a normal eye orientation. However, should the opposite occur, then he or she is oppositely orientated.
However, we have to ask several questions to make sure. Eye accessing cues is not 100% accurate nor 100% valid. Hence, we have to calibrate, get an idea first before we come to conclusions.
Eye accessing cues provides an interesting way of reading how people think and can sometimes provide clues to what people are actually thinking. Never the less, eye accessing cues is not 100% accurate nor 100% valid and not everyone has the same eye patterns and thus we must calibrate before drawing any conclusions.
Should there be any questions or comments on this, that can also be further into my ask box.
© 2011 by Psychology2010.tumblr.com
- yourprettypinkprincess likes this
- flamingelephants likes this
- dirtupoffmypsyche likes this
- logicalphallicy reblogged this from zhizni
- forgottenfuture reblogged this from psych-quotes
- thatoneshadyguywithbinoculars likes this
- mesonoxianvoid likes this
- trentduplock reblogged this from happy--l-ife
- infiniteplaces likes this
- theoreticallyepic reblogged this from psych-quotes
- an-0ld-enemy likes this
- snowylincolns reblogged this from psych-facts
- utterlyenthralled reblogged this from psych-quotes
- fbgcindy likes this
- kinblobbs reblogged this from klissie
- dailydoseofhappinessblog reblogged this from psych-facts
- jacobtargaryen likes this
- psychologoy reblogged this from whatthebeckle
- kinblobbs likes this
- whatthebeckle reblogged this from psych-quotes
- arpetrelly likes this
- intrinsic-expression likes this
- artisanbong likes this
- elesnicket likes this
- wish-i-was-allie likes this
- thatgreendaygirl reblogged this from psych-quotes
- tifflovesmusic likes this
- dafttaengk reblogged this from psych-facts
- nonotthatone reblogged this from psych-quotes
- dreams-of-psilocybin reblogged this from psych-quotes
- alovedictionary reblogged this from ohtheideaofbeinginlove
- benefit-ofthedoubt likes this
- nyantw4t likes this
- pseudopsychostuff reblogged this from psych-quotes
- lexie-danger reblogged this from psych-quotes
- louisgirlwbu likes this
- rnsaaa6 reblogged this from psych-quotes
- steefiie reblogged this from psych-quotes
- khoherent likes this
- thebrennanj reblogged this from psych-quotes
- quyenon likes this
- sassykassy23 likes this
- aboutairports reblogged this from psych-facts
- project-safehaven likes this
- bboykay-nine likes this
- recursivabsurdity likes this
- malkavianx likes this
- xjustanothermusicloverx reblogged this from psych-quotes